A diagnosis of cancer is upsetting, to say the least. Skin cancer is no exception.
“Skin cancer” is a general term for various types of cancer, including:
- Melanoma (in the cells that give your skin pigment).
- Basal cell carcinoma (in the top layer of your skin).
- Squamous cell carcinoma (flat cells forming the surface of your skin).
- Neuroendocrine carcinoma (cells that work with your nervous system).
Anyone can develop skin cancer (more than 1,000,000 new cases were reported in 2010, according to the National Cancer Institute). It occurs most commonly in the elderly, those with compromised immune systems, and people who have had a great deal of exposure to the sun, but can also be the result of genetic predisposition.
Fortunately, defense and treatment programs have never been better. Dr. Peter Vitulli, Jr.
and the staff at A Center for Dermatology, Cosmetic and Laser Surgery
offer state-of-the-art screening techniques. By detecting it at an early state before the symptoms are evident, there is less risk that the cancer has spread and treatment is easier.
If the results of your screening show abnormal cells, further diagnostic tests are done to determine if you have cancer.
Cancerous growths are removed surgically. Treated without delay, the surgery usually results in minimal scarring. More extensive procedures may require follow-up reconstructive surgery to restore appearance.
There is much you can do to lessen your risk of skin cancer:
- Protect yourself from the sun year-round – not just in the summer or at the beach.
- Avoid being out at midday on sunny days.
- Stay in the shade whenever possible.
- Wear protective clothing, hat, and sunglasses.
- Use sunscreen (SPF 50 or higher) whenever you are in the sun.
It is especially important to see your dermatologist every twelve months for routine skin checks. The best way to prevent skin cancer in sunny South Florida is early detection.
We happily serve the Jupiter, Juno Beach, North Palm Beach, and Palm Beach Gardens, area for cancer screening, cosmetic, and laser dermatology.