A diagnosis of cancer is upsetting, to say the least. Skin cancer is no exception.
“Skin cancer” is a general term for various types of cancer, including:
- Melanoma (in the cells that give your skin pigment).
- Basal cell carcinoma (in the top layer of your skin).
- Squamous cell carcinoma (flat cells forming the surface of your skin).
- Neuroendocrine carcinoma (cells that work with your nervous system).
Anyone can develop skin cancer (more than 1,000,000 new cases were reported in 2010, according to the National Cancer Institute). It occurs most commonly in the elderly, those with compromised immune systems, and people who have had a great deal of exposure to the sun, but can also be the result of genetic predisposition.
Fortunately, defense and treatment programs have never been better. Dr. Peter Vitulli, Jr.
and the staff at A Center for Dermatology, Cosmetic and Laser Surgery
offer state-of-the-art screening techniques. By detecting it at an early state before the symptoms are evident, there is less risk that the cancer has spread and treatment is easier.
If the results of your screening show abnormal cells, further diagnostic tests are done to determine if you have cancer.
Cancerous growths are removed surgically. Treated without delay, the surgery usually results in minimal scarring. More extensive procedures may require follow-up reconstructive surgery to restore appearance.
There is much you can do to lessen your risk of skin cancer:
- Protect yourself from the sun year-round – not just in the summer or at the beach.
- Avoid being out at midday on sunny days.
- Stay in the shade whenever possible.
- Wear protective clothing, hat, and sunglasses.
- Use sunscreen (SPF 50 or higher) whenever you are in the sun.
It is especially important to see your dermatologist every twelve months for routine skin checks. The best way to prevent skin cancer in sunny South Florida is early detection.
We happily serve the Jupiter, Juno Beach, North Palm Beach, and Palm Beach Gardens, area for cancer screening, cosmetic, and laser dermatology.
A Center for Dermatology
Connect with Dr. Peter Vitulli on . Linkedin
Dr. Peter Vitulli is a highly sought-after and popular board-certified dermatology and board-certified Mhs surgeon in Jupiter. Having earned his medical degree at the College of Osteopathic Medicine of Nova SouthEastern University, he completed his residency and internship at the University of Tennessee and attended a dermatology residency program at Nova SouthEastern University. Dr. Vitulli possesses vast training and experience in all aspects of pediatric and adult dermatology and offers comprehensive treatment solutions with an interdisciplinary diagnosis approach and impeccable follow-up care. He is particularly passionate about the management of skincare. With over two decades of experience in providing exceptional surgical and aesthetic services and medical care, he holds Fellowships and Memberships with several prestigious professional associations including the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology and the American Society of Mohs Surgery, among others.
- Care for your skin and overall health starts with cancer screenings and prevention in Jupiter, Florida
- A sunny outlook for your health in Jupiter, FL: Proactive skin cancer care
- Jupiter, FL dermatologist urges early detection and treatment for skin cancer
- Jupiter, FL skin cancer specialist provides patients with hope of a cancer free life
- Experienced Jupiter dermatologist helps you understand skin cancer symptoms
- Treatment of melanoma skin cancer available for Jupiter, FL area patients
- Jupiter, FL dermatologist introduces "Amelight" to prevent the risk of getting skin cancers
- Jupiter, FL, dermatology practice offers screening, diagnosis, and treatment for skin cancer
- Self-exams and screenings help you determine the need for mole removal in Jupiter
- Skin cancer treatment from your Jupiter dermatologist designed around your needs
- What is Mohs skin cancer surgery?
- Skin cancer specialists in Jupiter explain how skin cancer develops
- Early detection of skin cancer leads to effective skin treatment with your Jupiter dermatologist