When pores in your skin become clogged with excess oil (sebum), bacteria forms and causes acne. Acne takes many forms – blackheads, whiteheads, cysts, pustules, nodules, and papules, commonly found on the face, chest, and back.
Pimples are not a serious threat to your health, but they can cause scars – physical and emotional.
Anyone, regardless of age, gender, or race, can get acne. Most of us will encounter it at some stage in our lives. And it doesn’t mean you aren’t clean.
Excess sebum triggers acne outbreaks. Hormonal changes cause our bodies to make more sebum. A teenager, as he or she reaches maturity; a young woman about to have her period, an older woman approaching menopause, or a pregnant woman, are all likely to experience acne. But many other factors may also cause pimples – heredity, medications, heavy makeup, shaving, exposure to the sun, even sweating.
You can take some simple steps toward clearer skin:
- Gently clean your face and neck (chest, back, and shoulders, too if acne-prone) twice a day with a mild cleanser containing benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. Wash after workouts, also. Avoid hard scrubbing.
- Shampoo hair daily.
- Shave with a sharp blade or an electric razor.
- Use light, non-comedogenic makeup.
- Keep your hands away from your face. Don’t pick at or pop a pimple.
- Avoid exposure to the sun (it can generate more oil, and cause a reaction to acne medications).
If you still have moderate to severe acne, a visit to your dermatologist is in order. Dr. Peter Vitulli, Jr.
at A Center for Dermatology, Cosmetic and Laser Surgery
will customize a plan to heal your acne, stop new breakouts, and prevent scars by utilizing a variety of methods such as:
- Cleansers and topical treatments.
- Oral medications (anti-androgen drugs, isotretinoin to reduce oil production, antibiotics for infection, contraceptives to control hormones).
- Injections to reduce inflation in cysts.
- Laser treatment to remedy existing scars.
You don’t have to suffer the embarrassment of acne. Let’s work together to restore your self-confidence with clear, beautiful skin.
A Center for Dermatology
Connect with Dr. Peter Vitulli on . Linkedin
Dr. Peter Vitulli is a highly sought-after and popular board-certified dermatology and board-certified Mhs surgeon in Jupiter. Having earned his medical degree at the College of Osteopathic Medicine of Nova SouthEastern University, he completed his residency and internship at the University of Tennessee and attended a dermatology residency program at Nova SouthEastern University. Dr. Vitulli possesses vast training and experience in all aspects of pediatric and adult dermatology and offers comprehensive treatment solutions with an interdisciplinary diagnosis approach and impeccable follow-up care. He is particularly passionate about the management of skincare. With over two decades of experience in providing exceptional surgical and aesthetic services and medical care, he holds Fellowships and Memberships with several prestigious professional associations including the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology and the American Society of Mohs Surgery, among others.
- Understanding acne for teenagers: Effective treatments for every age in Jupiter, Florida
- Protect your skin from future acne breakouts, scarring with professional treatment for teens in Jupiter, Florida
- Understanding your acne well leads to effective treatment; Jupiter, FL specialist discusses symptoms of acne
- Jupiter, FL dermatologist explains acne and the various treatments
- Causes, prevention, and treatment of pregnancy acne in Jupiter, FL
- What options are available for treatment of acne in Jupiter, Florida?
- Jupiter, FL dermatologist discusses the symptoms of acne and what are some medications that can help
- Jupiter, FL dermatologist helps patients understand the effectiveness of acne treatment
- Jupiter, FL area residents can visit a respected dermatology practice for blackhead removal
- Jupiter, FL, parents ask, 'Should my teen see a dermatologist for acne treatment?'
- Dermatologist in Jupiter, FL, explains treatment for acne
- Your dermatologist in Jupiter helps you discover the best skin care to avoid acne scarrings
- Are you looking for an effective acne cure? Treatment with your Jupiter dermatologist may be in order
- Obtaining acne treatment in Jupiter decreases emotional distress