When pores in your skin become clogged with excess oil (sebum), bacteria forms and causes acne. Acne takes many forms – blackheads, whiteheads, cysts, pustules, nodules, and papules, commonly found on the face, chest, and back.
Pimples are not a serious threat to your health, but they can cause scars – physical and emotional.
Anyone, regardless of age, gender, or race, can get acne. Most of us will encounter it at some stage in our lives. And it doesn’t mean you aren’t clean.
Excess sebum triggers acne outbreaks. Hormonal changes cause our bodies to make more sebum. A teenager, as he or she reaches maturity; a young woman about to have her period, an older woman approaching menopause, or a pregnant woman, are all likely to experience acne. But many other factors may also cause pimples – heredity, medications, heavy makeup, shaving, exposure to the sun, even sweating.
You can take some simple steps toward clearer skin:
- Gently clean your face and neck (chest, back, and shoulders, too if acne-prone) twice a day with a mild cleanser containing benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. Wash after workouts, also. Avoid hard scrubbing.
- Shampoo hair daily.
- Shave with a sharp blade or an electric razor.
- Use light, non-comedogenic makeup.
- Keep your hands away from your face. Don’t pick at or pop a pimple.
- Avoid exposure to the sun (it can generate more oil, and cause a reaction to acne medications).
If you still have moderate to severe acne, a visit to your dermatologist is in order. Dr. Peter Vitulli, Jr.
at A Center for Dermatology, Cosmetic and Laser Surgery
will customize a plan to heal your acne, stop new breakouts, and prevent scars by utilizing a variety of methods such as:
- Cleansers and topical treatments.
- Oral medications (anti-androgen drugs, isotretinoin to reduce oil production, antibiotics for infection, contraceptives to control hormones).
- Injections to reduce inflation in cysts.
- Laser treatment to remedy existing scars.
You don’t have to suffer the embarrassment of acne. Let’s work together to restore your self-confidence with clear, beautiful skin.