Your dermatologist in Jupiter helps you discover the best skin care to avoid acne scarring
Acne is often considered a normal, unavoidable part of life. Most of the teens we see have at least a few marks on their face at any given time, and we may have experienced acne to some degree in our youth. Although a common sight in the teen years, acne can also affect adults of any age. For many, treatment from a skilled dermatologist makes all the difference. At A Center for Dermatology, Cosmetic and Laser Surgery in Jupiter, Dr. Vitulli helps patients of all ages discover the best skin care regimen to avoid acne and the scarring that can result from breakouts.
The causes of acne
For many years, greasy foods, unhealthy eating habits, poor sleep, and the lack of hygiene have been thought the culprits of acne. What really puts teens at risk for breakouts are hormones. During this time in life, when hormones are wildly fluctuating, there is a subsequent increase in oils and sebum in the skin. In normal amounts, oil and the waxy sebum provide protection to the skin, keeping it moist. When produced in excess, these substances can clog the pores, blocking dead skin cells and bacteria inside.
Bacteria are present even on healthy skin. When they collect in clogged pores, however, they rapidly multiply as they accumulate around hair follicles. The irritation from bacteria is seen as pimples, whiteheads, blackheads, and cysts.
As if breakouts were not bad enough, the development of pimples also raises the concern of scarring. Long after acne has cleared, scars and unevenness in the texture of skin can remain. This is not always the case, though. When a pore opens to allow fluid to drain, it is called non-inflammatory acne. Because pus is not trapped in pores, scarring is less likely to occur. Popping any type of pimple, however, increases the chance of scarring, even in non-inflammatory acne.
Inflammatory acne is a condition in which scarring is more likely. This type of breakout includes pressure within the affected follicles. This pressure can lead to the rupture of affected follicles and the release of sebum and bacteria into surrounding tissue. The scars that come from this type of acne may be temporary or permanent.
If a breakout is mild, with only minor irritation, it is possible to see clearing with over the counter medications, which are usually based on salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. The goal of acne treatment is to reduce bacteria in the skin and keep pores open so that oil may drain freely. This drainage should keep the follicle walls from rupturing.
Every person’s skin is different, and it will respond in varying degrees to over the counter medications. If you do not see results from commercial acne products, or your skin becomes more irritated, professional treatment with your dermatologist is recommended. In our Jupiter dermatology practice, Dr. Vitulli performs in-depth skin assessments that lead to customized care tailored to your unique skin. Acne treatment may include topical or oral antibiotics, or advanced laser treatment to destroy acne-causing bacteria.
Contact a Center for Dermatology, Cosmetic and Laser Surgery for personalized acne treatment.
A Center for Dermatology
Connect with Dr. Peter Vitulli on . Linkedin
Dr. Peter Vitulli is a highly sought-after and popular board-certified dermatology and board-certified Mhs surgeon in Jupiter. Having earned his medical degree at the College of Osteopathic Medicine of Nova SouthEastern University, he completed his residency and internship at the University of Tennessee and attended a dermatology residency program at Nova SouthEastern University. Dr. Vitulli possesses vast training and experience in all aspects of pediatric and adult dermatology and offers comprehensive treatment solutions with an interdisciplinary diagnosis approach and impeccable follow-up care. He is particularly passionate about the management of skincare. With over two decades of experience in providing exceptional surgical and aesthetic services and medical care, he holds Fellowships and Memberships with several prestigious professional associations including the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology and the American Society of Mohs Surgery, among others.
Back to Acne Home Page
- What Is the Best Hormonal Acne Breakout Treatment?
- Symptoms of acne in teens and Treatment Options
- Understanding acne for teenagers: Effective treatments for every age in Jupiter, Florida
- Protect your skin from future acne breakouts, scarring with professional treatment for teens in Jupiter, Florida
- Understanding your acne well leads to effective treatment; Jupiter, FL specialist discusses symptoms of acne
- Jupiter, FL dermatologist explains acne and the various treatments
- Causes, prevention, and treatment of pregnancy acne in Jupiter, FL
- What options are available for treatment of acne in Jupiter, Florida?
- Jupiter, FL dermatologist discusses the symptoms of acne and what are some medications that can help
- Jupiter, FL dermatologist helps patients understand the effectiveness of acne treatment
- Jupiter, FL area residents can visit a respected dermatology practice for blackhead removal
- Jupiter, FL, parents ask, 'Should my teen see a dermatologist for acne treatment?'
- Dermatologist in Jupiter, FL, explains treatment for acne
- Your dermatologist in Jupiter helps you discover the best skin care to avoid acne scarrings
- Are you looking for an effective acne cure? Treatment with your Jupiter dermatologist may be in order
- Obtaining acne treatment in Jupiter decreases emotional distress